FAQs for Nannies

What is Public Liability Insurance and why is it important?

Public Liability Insurance (PLI) provides protection for you in the work that you do. It covers you if your charges are injured while in your sole care, and also covers you should they cause damage to a third party’s property while in your sole care. It is a requirement for Ofsted registration and can provide both you as a nanny and your employer with peace of mind.

How do I apply?

You can apply online here it takes 5 minutes and we can send you your policy documents the same day if applied during business hours. Outside of business hours we can ensure from the next working day. You can also call 020 3137 4410.

I want to become Ofsted registered – what should I do first: apply for Nannyinsure or apply to Ofsted?

PLI is a pre-requisite for Ofsted registration. This means that you should make sure you have PLI before you apply for Ofsted registration.

Can you help me with Ofsted registration?

We are unable to help with Ofsted registration as Ofsted requires that you apply yourself. You can call Ofsted on 0300 123 1231 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to request an application form, or apply online via the Government Gateway here. We do have an Ofsted information page.

Do you recommend any training programmes for Common Core Skills or Paediatric First Aid?

We work with and recommend Babyem for Common Core Skills and Paediatric First Aid. Babyem provide attendance based courses in London and Surrey and also offer a home study course for nannies throughout the UK. More information about Nanny professional courses.

What is a DBS check? I have not heard of this.

In December 2012 the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) merged with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) to become the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). A DBS check is simply the new name for the CRB check.

I do not want to join the Ofsted register – how do I get a DBS check?

You can approach your local nanny agency. If you are not sure of your local agency, check the Nannytax Agency Directory. Babyem also offer a DBS check service. For £13 a year a nanny can sign up the the DBS update service to ensure that her DBS check is always up to date.

Will the insurance cover me if I accompany my employer on a holiday or business trip where they take the children?

Yes, Nannyinsure will cover you for up to a maximum of 90 days of travel outside the UK in a single trip as long as at least one parent/guardian is also present on the trip. In total you are covered for a maximum of 180 days of travel with the family during a 12-month period of insurance.

How many children are covered under the policy?

The policy covers you for the care of up to 6 children. This would include if your charges had playdates that were also in your immediate care.

Am I covered for driving the children in my car?

No you would need business cover for your car insurance. The Nannyinsure public liability does not cover for use of car.


We use cookies to ensure that you have the best experience. For more information, please read our cookie policy. By clicking on accept, you are agreeing to our cookie policy.