FAQs for Nanny Employers

  • What is nanny insurance actually for?
    Public Liability Insurance is designed to provide protection for your nanny in the work that they do. It can provide cover for compensation; claimants; costs and expenses if the child or children are injured in their sole care as well as other circumstances. This cover is subject to the terms and conditions of the policy, please refer to the Nannyinsure Policy Document and Nannyinsure Insurance Product Information Document for full details.
  • Do I need insurance if I employ a nanny?
    Yes, all employers are required by law to have Employer’s Liability Insurance cover. Our sister brand Enable Insurance Services provide Employers’ Liability Insurance that is specifically designed for nanny employers. As this is a legal requirement you could face fines if you do not have cover in place. Apply online today.
  • Who should pay for nanny insurance?
    Some nanny employers may ask their nanny to take up Public Liability insurance either for Ofsted registration purposes. It is up to you whether or not you pay for the nanny’s insurance but bear in mind that it may be considered a taxable benefit and will need declaring to HMRC. Please note we are not responsible for updating you on HMRC changes regarding tax.
  • I want my nanny to be Ofsted registered. Can you help with this?
    We can’t apply for Ofsted registration on your nanny’s behalf but we have an information page on applying for Ofsted here. You can call Ofsted on 0300 123 1231 or email enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk to request an application form, or apply online via the Government Gateway.
  • What is a DBS check?
    In December 2012 the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) merged with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) to become the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). DBS checks help employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children.
  • Will the insurance cover my nanny if they come on holiday?
    Yes, Nannyinsure covers the nanny for up to a maximum of 90 days of travel outside the UK. Cover is provided for maximum of 180 days of travel with the family during a 12-month period of insurance, liability is excluded in the USA and Canada.
  • What happens when the nanny leaves?
    As the Nannyinsure policy is in the nanny’s name, it is theirs to keep. When your nanny leaves your employment they will take the insurance with them; you cannot pass the Nannyinsure policy to your new nanny or cancel the policy when they leave. If your nanny wants to cancel the policy they would need to contact us directly.
  • I no longer receive childcare vouchers. Can I cancel my nanny’s Public Liability Insurance?
    No -only the nanny is able to cancel their insurance policy.
  • How do I apply for childcare vouchers?
    The Government closed the Childcare Vouchers scheme to new entrants on 4th October 2018. This is because the Government launched a new scheme called Tax-Free Childcare. You read about other government schemes that help parents with childcare costs and find out whether you’re eligible via Childcare Choices here.