FAQs for Nannies

  • What is Public Liability insurance and why is it important?
    Public Liability Insurance is designed to provide protection for you in the work that you do. It can provide cover for compensation; claimants’ costs and expenses if your charges are injured in your sole care as well as other circumstances. This cover is subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. Please refer to the Nannyinsure Policy Document and Nannyinsure Insurance Product Information Document for full details. You can read more about what the Nannyinsure policy covers here. You can read more about why nannies should have insurance here.
  • How do I apply?
    You can apply online here – it takes a few minutes and we can send you your policy documents the same day if applied during business hours. Outside of business hours we can ensure from the next working day. You can also call 020 3137 4410.
  • I want to become Ofsted-registered, what should I do first: apply for Nannyinsure or apply for Ofsted?
    Public Liability Insurance is a pre-requisite for Ofsted registration so you will need to hold Public Liability Insurance before you apply for Ofsted.
  • Can you help me with Ofsted registration?
    We can’t apply for Ofsted registration on your behalf but we have an information page on Applying for Ofsted here. You can call Ofsted on 0300 123 1231 or email enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk to request an application form, or apply online via the Government Gateway.
  • What is a DBS check?
    In December 2012 the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) merged with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) to become the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). DBS checks help employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children.
  • I don’t want to join Ofsted, how do I get a DBS check?
    You can approach your local nanny agency -if you are not sure of your local agency, check out our Nannytax Agency Directory where you can search for agencies within your region.
  • Will the insurance cover me for overseas trips?
    Nannyinsure will cover you for up to a maximum of 90 days of travel outside the UK in a single trip. In total you are covered for a maximum of 180 days of travel with the family during a 12-month period of insurance. Liability is excluded in Canada and the USA.
  • How many children are covered with Nannyinsure?
    The policy does not specify a limit as this would be dictated by Ofsted rules. As long as you are adhering to their guidelines on the number of children in your care at any one time then the policy will still operate subject to the terms and conditions of the policy.
  • Am I covered for driving the children in my car?
    No you would need business cover for your car insurance. The Nannyinsure public liability does not cover for the use of your car.
  • Can a nanny be self-employed?
    In some circumstances HMRC do grant nannies self-employed status, if for example, the nanny works in a series of temporary positions on short-term contracts. The nanny should always contact HMRC directly for approval if they wish to go down the self-employment route. We have a blog post about self-employment for nannies here.
  • Can a nanny receive childcare vouchers?
    The Government closed the Childcare Vouchers scheme to new entrants on 4th October 2018. This is because the Government launched a new scheme called Tax-Free Childcare. You can also read about other government schemes that help parents with childcare costs here.